Fur Tor box

General letterboxing discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

Tamerton Chocolates
Hiker
Hiker

Fur Tor box

#1 Post by Tamerton Chocolates » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:08 pm

Maybe a silly question, but which is the official Fur Tor letterbox? (if there is such a thing)

Both Cranmere pool & Duck's pool are in the catalogue but I can't find Fur Tor. There is a "Fur Tor - Queen of the moor" listed .. but that only has a 4 digit reference and seems to be away from the tor somewhat.

I also read on the legendary Dartmoor site that the "official" stamp is usually found on the western side of the main stack.

It's the badge I am still missing and I may be in the area again soonish.

trekkernod
Hiker
Hiker

Fur Tor

#2 Post by trekkernod » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:31 am

Hi Tamerton Chocolates,

I thought the Official Fur Tor box was No.19. I think it was deleted for reasons below. Not sure if DNP have replaced / refurbished it yet.
00019 Fur Tor - 585 831. W side in crevice, main outcrop. Official box it was in a sorry state. Although the container was fine, the stamp was off it's backing and no book

The Fur Tor Queen Of The Moor box (No.40156) is much later.
Noddy
The Toytown Trekker

The Wandering Artist
Trekker
Trekker

Fur Tor box

#3 Post by The Wandering Artist » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:26 pm

As far as I recollect the'official' Fur Tor box has long gone, with the wooden box it was sited in still in the 'cave' entrance still there on the west side of main o/c.
However there has been, for a number of years a box sited on a shelf within the 'cave', which may be considered as the box. Do not know who sited it though. (or if it still is on site)