Dartmoor Letterboxing Forum Index Dartmoor Letterboxing
The Letterboxing Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cranmere Pool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartmoor Letterboxing Forum Index -> Missing or Damaged Letterboxes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MnM
Ambler
Ambler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Cranmere Pool Reply with quote

Hi Guys
Thinking about a trip to Cranmere possibly the End of May
Firstly what's the closest car park and secondly does anyone know if the stamps have been replaced
MnM
Station Master
Hiker
Hiker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always park at Holming Beam and walk up the side of the Cowsic river then up past Cut Hill. This is not the shortest of walks and not the closest car park, but its a great walk.

Last edited by Station Master on Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Wandering Artist
Trekker
Trekker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Cranmere Pool Reply with quote

Firstly are you aware that the ring road has been closed and that such access to OP15,16.17 ARE NO LONGER AVAILABLE?

Accesses are:

1. at Okehampton Camp area ring road where now permitted.
2. High down
3. Chagford

No easy way from any place now, and a long walk to go by!
Dragonsword
Drifter
Drifter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the hike from Belstone with my children, 7.8km according to GPS, on 27th July.
The stamp was definitely there then.

Is Sylvia vanWynn still doing the cloth badges?
I've written to her recently, but had no reply.
Dartymoor
Hiker
Hiker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parked at the end of the accessible ring road by an OP that wasn't marked on the OS map two weeks ago (I wasn't sure where I was when I started off as thick fog!) - just west of East Okemont Farm.

Quite an easy walk south and around to the last OP on the ring road, where you leave due south off the tarmac to Okerton Court. From there, a slightly damp 1km trudge south. Paths become distinct near the area.

Both old and new stamps were there then, in two boxes. The old one had fallen off its mount but still usable. All in great condition, clean and tidy.

While sitting there, all alone, I heard faint music a ways off to the east. Must've been within half a mile or so as the wind was from the west, but couldn't summon the energy to walk over yet more tussocks. Wish I had as still wondering what it was - my only guess was some campers or something?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartmoor Letterboxing Forum Index -> Missing or Damaged Letterboxes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: