Dartmoor Letterboxing Forum Index Dartmoor Letterboxing
The Letterboxing Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fur Tor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartmoor Letterboxing Forum Index -> Letterboxing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redvanman1971
Drifter
Drifter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Fur Tor Reply with quote

Hi all , Hoping to head out towards Fur Tor this weekend . The last time I went out there I parked at Bagga Tor and was wondering if any boxers park elsewhere . I'm always looking for the easier route
Many Thanks

Mark ( 1 away from 200 ) Very Happy
Sowerby Streaker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark - that is the quickest route but not the easiest. Some tend to park at Postbridge and go up drift Lane, Broadun, Sandy Hole Pass, Cut Hill then over the top to Fur tor. Trying to get up broadun though is a killer but after that it is fairly easy walking especially now we have had a dry spell. Good luck, let us know how you got on.
redvanman1971
Drifter
Drifter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did think of going from post bridge this time but decided that cut hill would become a big distraction Laughing will let you know how i get on..

Mark
Parkhill Plodders
Ambler
Ambler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm heading that way next Sunday. Parking below lynch tor. Doing a nice circular walk and will be siting letter boxes along the way. Hope you have a good walk with plenty of finds
brockie
Drifter
Drifter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone visited the Fur Tor box recently? Wasn't there on Saturday Sad I thought one of the Dartmoor Rangers used to maintain it but that was a few years ago.
smartieb
Ambler
Ambler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Fur Tor Reply with quote

just got back from here today - parking at postbridge and upto flat tor, cut hill and onto fur tor returning round the back of cut hill and back down following the river through broad down?
Apart from the 1.5hrs of rain great day - bit longer than the bagga tor route I think but well worth it. Few old boxes still out there bit also a few 'rotten' ammo boxes that obviously held stamps in the past.
Couldn't find the the fur tor box either but if any one can pm and co ord will have to have another go next year. Only small disappointment of the day not finding this box
Great day
Duckpool
Hiker
Hiker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather late in the day but....the Dartmoor glossy magazine recently suggested a route to Fir Tor starting at Willsworthy ranges CP (SX518835). over Hare Tor to Dead Lake Foot, then on to Sandy Ford then to Fur Tor. I've done a variant on this starting at Lane end CP then up and over behind Ger Tor to Dead lake foot and then as the other. This though has the disadvantage of a strenuous climb at the beginning and worse, the same climb in reverse on the way back!

Has anyone any experience of getting there by heading North from Holming Beam which, once you've got up high looks as if it may be feasible (give or take the odd quagmire, peat hag etc.)?
Duckpool
Hiker
Hiker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention, when planning routes I have found an invaluable source of advice at www.richkni.co.uk which has dozens of routes fully documented with photographs, map references etc. Highly recommended as are some of his links.
foxy
Trekker
Trekker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Duckpool. I've run to Fur Tor from Holming Beam a couple of times. Why I did it again, I've no idea as it was a leg-sapping tussocky nightmare the first time too.....

Could be easier walking, though. Fantastic atmosphere.
Sowerby Streaker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another 'easy route' is going in from Highdown behind the Dartmoor inn. over the Lyd, Doe tor, Hare tor, Watern Oak and then up to Fur tor. I watched a video on You Tube a while back from Tony Hobbs. He uses that route all the time when he camps overnight. Check his videos out.
Duckpool
Hiker
Hiker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice - I'll give both of these routes a go - but not running!
redvanman1971
Drifter
Drifter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Fur Tor Stamp Reply with quote

Went over to Fur Tor again today with the Dogs and still couldn't find the Stamp . Does any one know if the stamp as been found recently or am I just being rubbish with the compass . I also came back to Lanes End following the range marker poles and must say found the return route quite easy as there is a sort of track between the poles caused by the vehicles maintaining them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartmoor Letterboxing Forum Index -> Letterboxing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: