Sighting compass

Share navigation tips, discuss map-reading, compass use etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Message
Author
User avatar
Bunnymummy
Trekker
Trekker
Posts: 498
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:52 pm
Location: Ivybridge, Devon

Sighting compass

#1 Postby Bunnymummy » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:21 pm

Hi All

I am thinking of getting a new sighting compass, the one I have could not sight a mountain!!! :o

I was thinking of getting the Silva 54 as I tried one out on the English walk with a fellow boxer and it was quite good? what do you guys use and what has been the best for you??

Jo

User avatar
Jones family on tor
Hiker
Hiker
Posts: 188
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:18 pm
Location: Solihull West Midlands
Contact:

#2 Postby Jones family on tor » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:31 pm

Hi Jo, we use the silva 54 and love it as we can use it as a standard compass as well. If you require it purely as a sighting compass there are a few more substantial and shock proof compasses on the market.
Here is a link for the 54 at a good price, if you want one.

http://www.completeoutdoors.co.uk/Silva-Expedition-54-Compass

m & s
Hiker
Hiker
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:46 am
Location: SALTASH, CORNWALL

#3 Postby m & s » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:44 pm

Jones family on tor wrote:Hi Jo, we use the silva 54 and love it as we can use it as a standard compass as well. If you require it purely as a sighting compass there are a few more substantial and shock proof compasses on the market.
Here is a link for the 54 at a good price, if you want one.

http://www.completeoutdoors.co.uk/Silva-Expedition-54-Compass

Sorry Steve have got a site where they are cheaper than that, although they do say out of stock at the moment, so maybe when they get them back in, the price will go up but will put it on here anyway.
http://www.freetime1.co.uk

User avatar
Jones family on tor
Hiker
Hiker
Posts: 188
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:18 pm
Location: Solihull West Midlands
Contact:

#4 Postby Jones family on tor » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:49 pm

m & s wrote:
Jones family on tor wrote:Hi Jo, we use the silva 54 and love it as we can use it as a standard compass as well. If you require it purely as a sighting compass there are a few more substantial and shock proof compasses on the market.
Here is a link for the 54 at a good price, if you want one.

http://www.completeoutdoors.co.uk/Silva-Expedition-54-Compass

Sorry Steve have got a site where they are cheaper than that, although they do say out of stock at the moment, so maybe when they get them back in, the price will go up but will put it on here anyway.
http://www.freetime1.co.uk


Sorry Su, but not when you add the delivery mine is free delivery.

User avatar
Fulchet
Adventurer
Adventurer
Posts: 884
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:11 am
Location: Cornwall

#5 Postby Fulchet » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:02 pm

I have that one as well.
next target 2000 - hopefully some time in 2010 (ha, ha, make that 2013)
Tina

User avatar
Mad moorland muppet
Hiker
Hiker
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 5:44 pm
Location: DEVON

#6 Postby Mad moorland muppet » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:23 am

Would recommend this one - we have used them for many years.

John
Hiker
Hiker
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:43 pm
Location: Plymouth

#7 Postby John » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:12 pm

I agree with the others - I carry a type 54 as my main compass, and a standard lightweight type 4 as a backup. I used to use a mirror sighting compass (similar to the Silva field type 26), but it wasn't as good as the type 54.


John.

m & s
Hiker
Hiker
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:46 am
Location: SALTASH, CORNWALL

#8 Postby m & s » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:46 pm

Jones family on tor wrote:
m & s wrote:
Jones family on tor wrote:Hi Jo, we use the silva 54 and love it as we can use it as a standard compass as well. If you require it purely as a sighting compass there are a few more substantial and shock proof compasses on the market.
Here is a link for the 54 at a good price, if you want one.

http://www.completeoutdoors.co.uk/Silva-Expedition-54-Compass

Sorry Steve have got a site where they are cheaper than that, although they do say out of stock at the moment, so maybe when they get them back in, the price will go up but will put it on here anyway.
http://www.freetime1.co.uk


Sorry Su, but not when you add the delivery mine is free delivery.

Fair enough Steve, I thought they had free delivery also, but obviously not, so yours is the better deal

User avatar
The Searchlighters
Hiker
Hiker
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:09 pm
Location: Butterleigh, Devon

#9 Postby The Searchlighters » Fri May 02, 2008 7:30 am

Interesting - I have had a look at the Silva 54 and it looks like a flat compass and I can't see how you could sight accurately - could one of you guys let me know how you use for sighting?

We use the Eclipse 99 which seems to be quite accurate but is very bulky so a change to the 54 might be good

User avatar
Fulchet
Adventurer
Adventurer
Posts: 884
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:11 am
Location: Cornwall

#10 Postby Fulchet » Fri May 02, 2008 4:51 pm

It is not perfectly flat - it is quite chunky and you can look through and it magnifies the forward and back bearings.
next target 2000 - hopefully some time in 2010 (ha, ha, make that 2013)

Tina

kk
Hiker
Hiker
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:18 pm

#11 Postby kk » Sat May 03, 2008 12:00 pm

If you are looking at thye 54 from pictures only, then you will notice looking down on it there is a setion inside the compass that looks like a bloc (if that makes sense). You hold the compass upto your eye and what is actually inside is a mirrored prism, which is what you used for sighting with. If you pop into any shop that stocks this compass just to see what we mean will help. I would then buy it online as it will probably be cheaper.

User avatar
Fulchet
Adventurer
Adventurer
Posts: 884
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:11 am
Location: Cornwall

#12 Postby Fulchet » Sat May 03, 2008 4:20 pm

kk wrote:If you are looking at thye 54 from pictures only, then you will notice looking down on it there is a setion inside the compass that looks like a bloc (if that makes sense). You hold the compass upto your eye and what is actually inside is a mirrored prism, which is what you used for sighting with. If you pop into any shop that stocks this compass just to see what we mean will help. I would then buy it online as it will probably be cheaper.


A much better explanation than mine - thank you
next target 2000 - hopefully some time in 2010 (ha, ha, make that 2013)

Tina

davejparry
Hiker
Hiker
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:27 pm
Location: Honiton, Devon

#13 Postby davejparry » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:02 am

Best price I can find is £53.99 delivered. Can anyone beat that as I'm getting one for my birthday, but I have to order it myself! lol
Hoping for 1000 before the next meet :)

User avatar
moorland wizard
Adventurer
Adventurer
Posts: 768
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:42 pm
Location: North Arabian Gulf

#14 Postby moorland wizard » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:09 am

what about a Silva -Ranger 15TDCL - sighting compas £45 but i get 10% off it..
Image

ghostbusters&mountain
Hiker
Hiker
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:20 pm
Location: stenalees cornwall

#15 Postby ghostbusters&mountain » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:34 pm

Have a look at www.aboveandbeyond.co.uk about £52 for silva expedition 54.
Image


Return to “Navigation”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests