Dartmoor Letterboxing Forum Index Dartmoor Letterboxing
The Letterboxing Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS/Sighting compass

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartmoor Letterboxing Forum Index -> Navigation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnybg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: GPS/Sighting compass Reply with quote

Can anyone advise me of any make of a electronic sighting compass combined with a GPS that gives you the 10 digit grid reference of any location? Any recommendations greatfully received!
whoisthechallenger
Hiker
Hiker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the ultimate outdoor gadget. But why would you want an electronic sighting compass? Most, if not all GPS units provide you with heading/bearing information, if a regular compass isn't enough. And besides, are you willing to trust ALL your navigation equipment to a set of AA batteries?

Maritime products almost hit the mark. Look at www.nexusmarine.se. You might have to take a mast and rudder with you on the Moors though...
Station Master
Hiker
Hiker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only way to sight a bearing on Dartmoor unless u have 's and a tank to carry it. GPS will get u to a place but a compass on them are useless.
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoisthechallenger wrote:
It sounds like the ultimate outdoor gadget. But why would you want an electronic sighting compass? Most, if not all GPS units provide you with heading/bearing information, if a regular compass isn't enough. And besides, are you willing to trust ALL your navigation equipment to a set of AA batteries?

What an absolute valid point, I like my GPS but I never go out there without my compass which requires no batteries. I might not take a map - but a compass - never without it
The Wandering Artist
Trekker
Trekker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: GPS/Sighting compass Reply with quote

Some very good points to bare in mind. Gps is good until it goes wrong or has battery failure - - 'gadgetamania'. Even a sighting compass has its problems - I am on my fourth now! (cracked cover / oil leak and / or bubble trouble!

Whatever happens I always have a compass as the mainstay - GPS I have as a quick means to the boxing ( a luxury to us older ones I can tell you !)
And I never venture on the Moor without a map at hand .Over the years I reckon I have covered all but a little of Dartmoor, but I would never take that for granted. Dartmoor has its moods, and can be quite treacherous to the unwary.

TWA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dartmoor Letterboxing Forum Index -> Navigation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: