RIP tanda stamps :-( NOW who makes stamps to order.

General letterboxing discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

UniS
Hiker
Hiker

Post by UniS »

I had an e-mail the other day from Tanda stamps, they are shutting the business.
so, who else is doing custom stamps... reasonable quality and price and turn round speed.....
Wheres it to ?
Freemans of the Moor
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Freemans of the Moor »

We think it reflects a general sign of the times, will the last person boxing please switch off the light.
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

This sort of reflects that poll I created a few weeks ago, people cannot afford to get to the moors as much, and with the awful weather we had last year I suspect a lot of people are calling it a day with letterboxing
Nik 245 to go
Freemans of the Moor
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Freemans of the Moor »

We just want to share our overall views on the subject of Letterboxing.

When I started letterboxing in the New Forest in 1990 and then discovered Dartmoor after being made redundant in 1992, the system that was used at that time for receiving clues and collating boxes was from the half yearly Catalogue and the Monthly updates from Tony Moore.

Nothing has changed much since that time apart from the progression of receiving clues or other information by E mail and the use of computers.

Added to this was our increasing involvement with Word of Mouth clues which also required planning, solving, plotting, and recording. At our peek we were in contact and receiving clues, with in over 100 boxers who were planting W.o.M. boxes. Many of these clues initially came by post, not e mail

This system is now seriously behind the times.
Many very active Boxers (including us) live near to Dartmoor and it is our observation that some of this group have either retired from Letterboxing or have gone in other directions. It’s not the price of fuel that has put them off. They live locally and represent most of the hardcore of Dartmoor letterboxing.

If we want to encourage new blood and youth into and to continue this hobby after we have left, Letterboxing must offer a more modern package.

Just listening to the Grandchildren when they talk; Face book, Twitter, Tablets, I Phones and computers as almost an everyday language and usage.
Any subject that they show interest in must be available with at least one or more of the above.

We realize that there are some long established boxers who will never change their attitude, being if it was good enough for them in the old days, when they started, then that the way it should stay.

We started to Geo cache a couple of years ago when, because of the prevailing weather, a day on Dartmoor was not enjoyable or practical but then on better days we returned to our Letterboxing.
From our observations many other big names in Dartmoor boxing (and the New Forest) have gone the same route, some of them totally.

The Geo cache web site is free to join (extra if you want Premium Membership).
It’s an extremely modern way to hunt. No waiting for monthly updates. New clues are published daily and go into the system automatically; they are usually given grids and have a local map. This can also show the location of every other nearby Cache? All the paper work is done for you. Even to read all the logs of each cache and its state and condition. It’s a Global site, so say you live in Nottingham and can only manage a couple of annual visits to the Moor, you can still hunt for “pill pots” locally.

If Letterboxing is going to survive, (that includes Dartmoor, The New Forest, The South Downs, North Yorkshire Moors, Exmoor, Brecon Beacons etc.) it must modernise and move in a similar direction.
Gemma
Trekker
Trekker

Post by Gemma »

"If Letterboxing is going to survive, (that includes Dartmoor, The New Forest, The South Downs, North Yorkshire Moors, Exmoor, Brecon Beacons etc.) it must modernise and move in a similar direction."

This surly will open up the clues locations etc to The "Thief" it will also increase (we think) being contacted for the solution to the cryptic start points. The demise of Letterboxing, may be the result of Geocaching, but it maybe that Letterboxing is defined to specific areas. It is not our belief that it is technology that is issue but folks reluctance to self manage their day, rather than turning on their computer & printing off the geocaches that are nearby. :!: :!:
We seek them here, we seek them......
Gemma
Trekker
Trekker

Post by Gemma »

Had some more thoughts.

Who would fund the hosting of the site,would ALL the boxes be listed on one site. Would there be a cost to be able to view the clues. Who would manage the site?

Not small issues me thinks...
reg the bullmastiff
Hiker
Hiker

Post by reg the bullmastiff »

Nik-KOTM will do it? :D
Gemma
Trekker
Trekker

Post by Gemma »

Which bit,

Can't see other Letterboxing areas being too keen!! :)
reg the bullmastiff
Hiker
Hiker

Post by reg the bullmastiff »

Which bit?
There's more than one BIT????????

There's more to letterboxing than one might think.....me thinks :oops:
Gemma
Trekker
Trekker

Post by Gemma »

reg the bullmastiff wrote:Which bit?

What ???

I was referring to the Bit Nik KOTM would be willing to take on. The cost of Hosting a site that allows SQL does not come cheap. I would also surmise that the some of the other Letterboxing area "Keepers" would not be up for having "their" boxes being listed on an open web site.
The Wandering Artist
Trekker
Trekker

Post by The Wandering Artist »

What has G--thingmy got to do with this subject?
This is very like a militant group out to convince the world their beliefs are best!
NOT FOR ME!
Sowerby Streaker
Site Admin

Post by Sowerby Streaker »

Totally agree W.A and Gemma
bog_baby
Hiker
Hiker

Post by bog_baby »

I think letterboxing vs geocaching is like the small independent retailer vs the huge supermarket. A lot of people like the supermarket because it is easy and convenient and nobody realises how important/better quality the small retailer is till they are gone.
I think more should be done tbh to promote letterboxing and it's tradition on Dartmoor by the national park authority or whatever. I think it could be a geocache free area and maybe there could be fixed or permanent stamps along routes that are monitored. There could be free days/small charge days where people/children are taken out to areas and shown how letterboxing works. I just don't think enough pride is taken in the tradition really.
Sorry no help on where to get stamps made up now :(
Sowerby Streaker
Site Admin

Post by Sowerby Streaker »

Getting back to the title of this thread - here is one company that I have found that is making A4 sheets of stamps at an incredile price of only £17.50. Seems you have to have clear black and white images, probably done on a computer rather than hand drawn images. However, you can send your images to them and they will advise if they are good enough before you go ahead and pay. Don't know of anyone who has tried them yet, but might be worth a go.

http://www.onestopstamps.co.uk/shop/des ... 4-409.html
Colin
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Colin »

Gemma wrote:
reg the bullmastiff wrote:Which bit?

What ???

I was referring to the Bit Nik KOTM would be willing to take on. The cost of Hosting a site that allows SQL does not come cheap. I would also surmise that the some of the other Letterboxing area "Keepers" would not be up for having "their" boxes being listed on an open web site.
I don't think the hosting costs would be that much £100ish for either microsoft SQL server or mysql. I think the real costs would be incurred from the website development side of things. The only cheap option would be to get a free of the shelf cms or similar system and customise it.

But I cannot see anyone doing it as there would be no guarantee that anyone would use it anyway.
Everyone has a photographic memory. My problem is I don't have any film.

www.colin-masters.com