Report missing or damaged boxes.

Moderator: Moderators

Quaestrix
Drifter
Drifter

Possibly missing or lost letterbox A Holiday Experience

Post by Quaestrix »

Hello forum,

We are from Holland and have a letterbox on Sheeps Tor called “A Holliday Experience”, the box is been there from 2001 and is re-registred in the clue book in 2006.

Our box is visited regularly over the years and through the postcards we received at home we could stay in touch with the box. But we are not able to visit the box every year.
We visited our box the last time in august 2012 and put in new postcards. We did not receive any postcards back since then.

We are a bit worried something is wrong. Is it vandalised? Is the box still out there and in what kind of state?

If someone is going up to Sheeps Tor is it possible to check if it is still there and please check the clue and contents of the box and maybe send us a photo?

Name letterbox: A HOLIDAY EXPERIENCE
Registered number: No. 32345
56?? 68??
Leather Tor 350 dg
Down Tor 059 dg
TV mast 006 dg
Box is on 48 p. on a bearing of 021 ½ dg from a Northerly outcrop on Sheeps Tor, in an area of large clitter.

I have the GPS coordinates, please send me a PM for the details.

Thank you for your cooperation and kind regards from:
Ed & Monique, alias The Dutch Letterboxers
trekkernod
Hiker
Hiker

Missing box

Post by trekkernod »

Hi
Your letterbox was Deleted in 2007 as part of the Five Year lifespan for 'boxes. It has not appeared in a catalogue since. This will explain why the flow of 'postcards' your receive from it have stopped.
The clue was last listed in the Autumn 2006 catalogue with different bearings to the ones you give.
I will be going to Sheeps Tor soon to check on a box I have up there, so I will look for your box whilst in the area.
I will PM you to get the full GPS fix, then, when/if I find your letterbox I can amend any bearings that are incorrect.

Mark
Noddy
The Toytown Trekker
trekkernod
Hiker
Hiker

Box found on site

Post by trekkernod »

I visited Sheeps Tor today, to look for the letterbox mentioned above. It was found on site and in excellent condition. It took a bit of finding. It is well hidden and in a good, dry site.
The owners should be commended for siting a letterbox that is well kept and dry.
Once upon a time all letterboxes were like this one!!!

I have emailed the owners with the news about their box. I have also updated the grid ref and bearings. I will leave it to the owners to decide what is released in the updates.
It would be a shame if this letterbox is stolen or not cared for in the owners absence.

Noddy
Noddy
The Toytown Trekker
Quaestrix
Drifter
Drifter

Post by Quaestrix »

Thanks Noddy for your great help!
We are very happy that the box is still on site and in such a good condition.

I will re- register the correct clue, with your advice in mind.

Thanks again and cheers!

Ed