Benchmarks on the moor?

Share navigation tips, discuss map-reading, compass use etc.

Moderator: Moderators

John
Hiker
Hiker

Benchmarks on the moor?

Post by John »

Hello,

I noticed in the 2007 supplement the clue name "Moorstone - Dartmoor's highest benchmark?". The clue is cryptic, so I have no idea where the letterbox is. Given that benchmarks specify an exact height at that point, and can therefore be used to determine your location, I was wondering if there are any actual benchmarks on the moor? I know that there is a benchmark in Sourton village, but wondered if there were any actually on the moor itself? Secondly, the clue name seems to imply that there are other benchmarks around the moor. Is this so?

If anyone knows where the above benchmark is, or indeed where any others are on the moor, then perhaps they could email me (jhorne at plymouth.ac.uk). Don't email the forum, because it might spoil the above clue for others.

John.
Brinnie
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Brinnie »

Yes, there are loads on the moor. I have sent a PM.
wires
Hiker
Hiker

Post by wires »

any chance you could send me a copy of tghe benchmarks too please brinnie?

dont stand in somone elses shaddows, make your own mark. ..... do somthing that might scare you, it will change your life.
NUMBER 70

Post by NUMBER 70 »

I was talking to an old Letterboxer a couple of months ago and he has been walking around Pew tor looking for Quarrying boundary markers, I am not sure if this is there correct name, he explained that when there was a lot of quarrying going on in the area around Pew tor someone realised that if quarrying was left unchecked then Pew tor could be lost completely so a series of equal crosses (Plus sign type +not Christian) where marked on boulders around the tor to prevent any quarrying taking place within this circle of markers he had found several but could not complete the ring.

He went onto say that due to pressure this outer ring was replaced by a smaller inner ring of crosses again marked on boulders etc these bearing a dot or circle within the four corners of the cross.

Has anyone ever stumbled upon these, or is there a list of them
Now a Sustrans Volunteer Ranger Group Coordinator on the Trans Pennine Trail
moorland wizard
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by moorland wizard »

to be truthfull i may have seen one on pew tor a + but did not know what they was, but now i know
Brinnie
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Brinnie »

Below is the waymarking page for Roos Tor it has simular boundary markers as Pew Tor, there are two photos and an explanation for the stones.
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM1FDQ
Fulchet
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Fulchet »

very interesting
next target 2000 - hopefully some time in 2010 (ha, ha, make that 2013)
Tina
foxy
Trekker
Trekker

Post by foxy »

Hi all,

Dave Brewer's book Dartmoor Boundary Markers has a bit about the Pew Tor marks. There are nine cross and circle marks close to the tor which are the original limits, and four others about 30-80m farther out which mark a later boundary. These later marks are similar to the original ones, but with a hole in the middle and where the cross touches the circle, and smaller. I've found 5 of the originals but only one of the later ones so far.

Hope this helps.

Happy hunting!