Emergencies?

Issues regarding safety and links of interest

Moderator: Moderators

davejparry
Hiker
Hiker

Emergencies?

Post by davejparry »

We broke the rules a bit on sunday and won't be doing it again!

We went out fully kitted and then gave up when the mist started coming in to be safer rather than sorry. We had some lunch and a cuppa and the weather cleared, so we just went to get the 2 boxes that were closest. These got our interest up again so we went a bit further and found some more, then just a little further....and before you know it we were right out there! The weather really turned this time and very quickly. Of course we had stupidly left our rucksack in the van with our waterproofs inside it :cry: We made it back ok but very cold and wet! We know we were stupid and very lucky to find our way out and won't be doing it like that again.

On this note, should we be carrying anything for emergencies, just in case?
Fulchet
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Fulchet »

I always have my waterproofs with me. I also have a warm drink, cold drink and plenty of food; a whistle within blowing reach; a mobile phone for when you can get a signal; my gps so that if I fall I know exactly where I am if I can reach someone on my phone; a bright orange piece of plastic that I can use as a tent/put out as a signal. This is also so long as I am conscious.

It's also a good idea to leave your route with relatives before you leave home so that if you don't get back by nightfall someone knows where to start looking for you.

Always remember to have a warm jumper in your bag even if it is the middle of summer, plus hat and gloves.
next target 2000 - hopefully some time in 2010 (ha, ha, make that 2013)
Tina
Crafty Jo

Post by Crafty Jo »

You'd do well to follow Tina's advise - I am always amazed at the number of different things Tina thinks about taking - makes my rucksack contents look a bit pathetic. Although I do always have lots to eat and drink!! :lol:
m & s
Hiker
Hiker

Post by m & s »

You would possibly already have these with you, but a map and compass are really necessary. Just in case for some reason your GPs does not work
Fulchet
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Fulchet »

m & s wrote:You would possibly already have these with you, but a map and compass are really necessary. Just in case for some reason your GPs does not work
I have those as well of course. Sorry, forgot to mention these.
Tina
goose egg
Drifter
Drifter

Post by goose egg »

In addition to all the above I always take a torch, a small travel babychanging mat (insulation against the cold and damp when I stop for lunch etc!), a heavy duty fishing knife, first aid kit and ball of string.
panomobile
Hiker
Hiker

Post by panomobile »

I always make sure I have a couple of spare plastic carrier bags as well. You don't know what you might find out there :wink:
Fulchet
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Fulchet »

Good point Goose Egg. I completely forgot I also carry a torch, knife, first aid kit and a soft piece of something that I bought on Ebay for sitting/kneeling on.

I also have a piece of white plastic stuff that car mechanics use when servicing your car so that I can pull it over myself if I get caught in the rain so that the stamp I might be stamping up doesn't get wet.

And lots of kitchen roll.
Tina
The Lost Legionnaire
Hiker
Hiker

Post by The Lost Legionnaire »

Tina, is this what you use to lug that lot around!
ps Also available in orange. :wink:
"So I find myself among brave south western hills....................running like a madman on the moor"
Fulchet
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Fulchet »

The Lost Legionnaire wrote:Tina, is this what you use to lug that lot around!
ps Also available in orange. :wink:
Very good. Joking aside, I've just replaced my rucksack with a 33 litre one from a shop in Ebrington Street. I think I wore my last one out with all my emergency supplies ... lol.
Tina
Dizzy
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Dizzy »

What does Dizzy take???? Well here goes and I'm sure I've missed a few things to!!

Compass & Map
First Aid Kit You never know when this will come in handy!
Survival blanket usually the thermal silver type.
Spare Socks and Shoes We all have a habit of stepping into a boggy area from time to time. Keep the shoes/trainers in the boot of your car.
Food Replenish your energy, A Mars bar is a good addition to your kit.
Drink Hot and cold drinks, drink regular to stop dehydration.
Spare clothes Wear lots of thin layers rather than a thick jumper. Layers of clothes can help trap in your body heat, plus it’s easier to take one layer off if you get to warm.
Mobile Phone Just in case of an emergency. Bear in mind that not areas on the moors have mobile phone coverage.
Torch Now I’m not saying that you might get stranded, but it’s always worth a thought.
Spare Boot Laces Now how many times have mine snapped!
Gaiters To place around your ankles, that gorse and bracken is a little painful without them, believe me, I know!
Long Trousers Tuck your trousers into your socks. Dartmoor in the Summer consists of sheep ticks, not a very nice little critter. They tend to hang around in the gorse and bracken, burrow their way into your skin and do vampire impressions! Check yourself all over when you get home, if you find any, unscrew them anti-clockwise to prevent leaving the head there! Sounds horrible but they are more or less harmless but annoying little things. Also because of this cover your arms.
Never walk in open toed sandals, I know sounds daft but I’ve seen so many people up there in the summer like this and also wearing shorts. So if you don’t want ticks, cover yourself up.
Walking stick You will be surprised how handy these can be. For prodding under a rock, there are snakes on the moors so it’s easier to look under a rock with a stick rather than your hand! Also a walking stick helps for checking soft ground in front of you. They also come in handy for leaping across streams (miniature pole vaulting), saves those wet feet.
Waterproofs Gore-Tex or similar lightweight coat and trousers. These don’t take up to much room in your hiking bag, but knowing Dartmoor weather, you WILL need them.
GPS
Camera

I know all this sounds a lot but believe me, you can never be to prepared on the moors. Oh, and always tell someone where you are going, preferably with an added grid reference of the areas you will be visiting. So to recap, here is the list again.
Visit my website and please leave a message on my new Guestbook!
http://www.letterboxstamper.co.ukhttp://www.devonartist.co.uk
Fulchet
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Fulchet »

I agree Dizzy and it doesn't take that much space up in your rucksack. I'd rather have too much stuff with me than leave something vital at home.
Tina
Jones family on tor
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Jones family on tor »

Dizzy wrote:What does Dizzy take???? Well here goes and I'm sure I've missed a few things to!!

Compass & Map
First Aid Kit You never know when this will come in handy!
Survival blanket usually the thermal silver type.
Spare Socks and Shoes We all have a habit of stepping into a boggy area from time to time. Keep the shoes/trainers in the boot of your car.
Food Replenish your energy, A Mars bar is a good addition to your kit.
Drink Hot and cold drinks, drink regular to stop dehydration.
Spare clothes Wear lots of thin layers rather than a thick jumper. Layers of clothes can help trap in your body heat, plus it’s easier to take one layer off if you get to warm.
Mobile Phone Just in case of an emergency. Bear in mind that not areas on the moors have mobile phone coverage.
Torch Now I’m not saying that you might get stranded, but it’s always worth a thought.
Spare Boot Laces Now how many times have mine snapped!
Gaiters To place around your ankles, that gorse and bracken is a little painful without them, believe me, I know!
Long Trousers Tuck your trousers into your socks. Dartmoor in the Summer consists of sheep ticks, not a very nice little critter. They tend to hang around in the gorse and bracken, burrow their way into your skin and do vampire impressions! Check yourself all over when you get home, if you find any, unscrew them anti-clockwise to prevent leaving the head there! Sounds horrible but they are more or less harmless but annoying little things. Also because of this cover your arms.
Never walk in open toed sandals, I know sounds daft but I’ve seen so many people up there in the summer like this and also wearing shorts. So if you don’t want ticks, cover yourself up.
Walking stick You will be surprised how handy these can be. For prodding under a rock, there are snakes on the moors so it’s easier to look under a rock with a stick rather than your hand! Also a walking stick helps for checking soft ground in front of you. They also come in handy for leaping across streams (miniature pole vaulting), saves those wet feet.
Waterproofs Gore-Tex or similar lightweight coat and trousers. These don’t take up to much room in your hiking bag, but knowing Dartmoor weather, you WILL need them.
GPS
Camera

I know all this sounds a lot but believe me, you can never be to prepared on the moors. Oh, and always tell someone where you are going, preferably with an added grid reference of the areas you will be visiting. So to recap, here is the list again.
Hey Paul with all that to remember it is no wonder you forgot your hiking boots on Sunday. You better add Wellies to the list. :wink:
Dizzy
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Dizzy »

I know, but most of that is already in my hiking bag! At least my boots are ready dubbed for mnext time round!

Dizzy
Visit my website and please leave a message on my new Guestbook!
http://www.letterboxstamper.co.ukhttp://www.devonartist.co.uk
Generation Gap
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Generation Gap »

Before I noted that someone had said Tina needed the case to carry all the gear, I was going to suggest that she obviously pulls a trailer behind her!!
Must admit, it makes what we take look paltry and insignificant - and makes me think we need to re-evaluate what we should take in the way of emergency equipment.

Many thanks for the advice - now we'll need to buy a bigger ruck-sack (unless I can convince Sue to carry one as well! :roll: ).

Regards,
Generation Gap
(Howard n Sue)
500+ - looking towards our 1000.