Kilroy

General letterboxing discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

M&M
Drifter
Drifter

Kilroy

Post by M&M »

M and I went out for our second trip yesterday and were a bit more successful, another 7 collected!

Looking through some of the books got me thinking. The one resounding memory I have when I used to look through the books with my Dad was flicking straight to the back page to see if Kilroy had been, he seemed to have been to every box, it was always a bit special when I found one he hadn't been to!

Anyway, he was still there in some of yesterdays books and I just wondered if anyone knew of the man or had any stories to tell!

After a while of boxing with my Dad I do remember someone had a stamp with 'Oh what glee oh what joy I was here before Kilroy'! That still brings a smile to my face!

M
M&M on the Moor!
Freemans of the Moor
Hiker
Hiker

Kilroy

Post by Freemans of the Moor »

We have always held the opinion that "Kilroy" is Ian Kirkpatrick of the Dartmoor Bounders. He always stamps the bottom right hand corner of the visitors book. We were told, when we used to stamp the back page to leave that area clear for Ian.

Checking the back page makes it quicker to see if you have already had the stamp before.
Sowerby Streaker
Site Admin

Post by Sowerby Streaker »

Yes I also think its Ian - someone has even had a stamp made which says - 'This space reserved for Kilroy' with a box underneath for his stamp. :roll:
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

I can confirm your suspicions - it is Ian Kirkpatrick - though back in the day it was always a race to get into the back of the book
Nik 245 to go
Tamerton Chocolates
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Tamerton Chocolates »

They must have a rather impressive collection of stamps .. it is the only name that is almost always present in the boxes I find (either KilRoy or their round Dartmoor bounders stamps)

There are a few other regulars but nothing even comes close to him / them
Box Hunter
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Box Hunter »

I also remember finding a lot of boxes with a 1 penny stamp inside the back cover. Thought that was a great idea. I haven't come across any boxes with this since I started again this year. Does anyone know who that is/was, and whether they are still around?
Patience helps....
Sowerby Streaker
Site Admin

Yep, that was Richard Howse - he put loads of boxes out, 'Notice' 'Moor Box' and loads of 'Stake' boxes as well as some very nice sets. He hasn't boxed for a few years, but has sited some new boxes and he has recently met up with some of the older boxers including Godfrey Swinscow for a re-union.
Box Hunter
Hiker
Hiker

Post by Box Hunter »

Oh yes, I recognise the name and remember coming across some of his boxes, especially quite a lot of the stakes.
Patience helps....
Gemma
Trekker
Trekker

Post by Gemma »

Box Hunter wrote:Oh yes, I recognise the name and remember coming across some of his boxes, especially quite a lot of the stakes.
Yep did lots of Richards Stake Series & other series also. Did bump into him once out on the Moor... Was a while back.
We seek them here, we seek them......
MnM
Ambler
Ambler

Post by MnM »

Hmmmm not too sure about the name guys
Sowerby Streaker
Site Admin

:?: Which name :roll:
Nik - KOTM
Site Admin

Post by Nik - KOTM »

Didn't he do the "Tops of Dartmoor" series as well?
Nik 245 to go
trekkernod
Hiker
Hiker

Post by trekkernod »

Tops Of Dartmoor are put out by Saltash Stamper.
Noddy
The Toytown Trekker
The Sly Fox
Trekker
Trekker

Post by The Sly Fox »

Tamerton Chocolates wrote:They must have a rather impressive collection of stamps .. it is the only name that is almost always present in the boxes I find (either KilRoy or their round Dartmoor bounders stamps)

There are a few other regulars but nothing even comes close to him / them
I can remember seeing loads of regulars that equal Kilroy:

Diptford Letterbox Hounds
Hagar Dave
Where the Hand of Man Hath Never Trod
Spiderman
Eggbuckland Poachers
Norfolk Dumplings

... just to name a few.

I think Kilroy stood out because of the siting of his penny stamp and visitors book placement. These folks must have found over one hundred thousand boxes between them.
This fox is the hunter, not the hunted !!
1,578 and counting ...
teignexplorer2
Drifter
Drifter

Post by teignexplorer2 »

I remember someone back in the day having "I beat Kilroy" stamp thought that was ace!!

Chris Kelland (Legends of Dartmoor) was another famous one along with Hising Sid and John (Jaid).