The Tavistock Ashburton Track - box found

Report missing or damaged boxes.

Moderator: Moderators

Oxman
Ambler
Ambler

The Tavistock Ashburton Track - box found

Post by Oxman »

We were out on North Hessary Tor this last weekend and found a rather old letterbox on the West side near some boundary stones. There were 3 stamps and a book inside a red ammo box. The box is not particularly well hidden but I suppose its just not on anyone's route to somewhere else!

Unfortunately the book is rather damp so very difficult to stamp. Because I live so far from Dartmoor, I didnt feel I should remove and repair the box or book, but perhaps someone else could if in the area? I believe the book is still recoverable as it is not sodden, just very damp.

Interestingly the first stamp we could find in the book was from 1998 and the last was from February 2014.

There are 3 stamps in the box:

1. has the words THE TAVISTOCK
2. has the words ASHBURTON TRACK
3. a hand carved stamp of two boundary stones one with the letter T and the other with the letter A

I have not been able to find the box mentioned in any of the last couple of catalogues, does anyone know if it was a registered box in the past?

The box is in the area of 575 736 - I would be happy to provide a 10 figure GPS reference on a PM if anyone is interested in maintaining the box.
Badalika - Kenya boxers on the moor!!
Freemans of the Moor
Hiker
Hiker

Tavistock / Ashburton trail

Post by Freemans of the Moor »

Hello Oxman,
we have knowledge of 2 series of boxes in the T/A trail set.
One was called T and A Packhorse trail which we found in August 1998 on Billy's Tor with a Catalogue number of 23231.
The other was a word of mouth series put out by The Auditor who lives in Tiverton.

Len & Jen
Oxman
Ambler
Ambler

Post by Oxman »

Thanks for the info, I have passed on the full grid reference to Noddy The Toytown Trekker so hope it will be patched up and put back on the moor.

Brenden (Oxman)
smartieb
Hiker
Hiker

Post by smartieb »

Oxman
Was this Sat 14th? were you doing the brentor church charity walk as i may have been following you about 4 boxes behind? I was the solitary walker with a black/white collie bounding around if you saw me.
Didnt come across the box you mentioned in your post but found a box with a similiar query - please see next post 'Abbots Way - Wheatear'

Was surprised to see the last reminants of sleet/snow in sheltered guliies.
Hope you had a good a day as i did
Always Looking for More!
aka Munchers Searching the Moor
Oxman
Ambler
Ambler

Post by Oxman »

smartieb wrote:Oxman
Was this Sat 14th? were you doing the brentor church charity walk as i may have been following you about 4 boxes behind? I was the solitary walker with a black/white collie bounding around if you saw me.
Didnt come across the box you mentioned in your post but found a box with a similiar query - please see next post 'Abbots Way - Wheatear'

Was surprised to see the last reminants of sleet/snow in sheltered guliies.
Hope you had a good a day as i did
Yes it was Sat 14th on the Brentor Church walk and we had a great day as the weather was perfect. However the only reason we found this box was because my youngest boy hurt his foot and was taking a short cut back to the car. He actually found the box and called me over!